Author Archives: gay4soccer
Everyone’s back to work today, and the soccer world had a few stories featuring our nation’s Presidents in light of yesterday’s holiday, among some other great tidbits:
- From George Washington to Jed Bartlet, The Other 87 brings us a starting lineup of our nation’s greatest real and fictional presidents.
- KCKRS brings us a bunch of great photos today, from modern Presidents playing soccer to a purported presidential mistress kicking a ball around.
- The Guardian’s Sportblog covers the inaugural meeting of the Independent Supporters’ Council, America’s first league-wide fan lobbying group.
- Just because it looks pretty cool, here are Philadelphia Union players participating in a four-way push-up on their final day of training in Florida, on MLSSoccer.com.
- Finally, KCKRS also brings us the latest “Sh!t ___ say” YouTube video, “Sh!t Soccer Girls Say”:
But how sports-friendly are our gay sports bars, and more importantly to our interest, how soccer friendly are they? When 10:30 PM rolls around on March 10 will Boston’s gay bars that claim to be sports friendly be tuned into the Revs taking on the Quakes at Buck Shaw Stadium, or will they choose to use those screens for music videos to please the clientele looking to dance?
No holiday off here at g4s central, but it has been a slow work day so have been able to read a bunch and share some favorite links from the day with you.
- Eric on The Other 87 Minutes does a good analysis of Landon Donovan’s return to MLS and USMNT action after his stint at Everton.
- The Free Beer Movement works to answer the question of why the 2000 MLS Cup won by Kansas City has found its home in a Dallas skyscraper.
- MLSSoccer.com previews a sketch on this week’s episode of IFC’s Portlandia in which the shows stars find themselves in the midst of the Timbers Army at their first match. Took you guys long enough to do a nod to the Timbers!
- The English FA today launched a five-year anti-homophobia campaign, including a half-hour video on the subject recorded yesterday on Justin Fashanu’s birthday. Your move, Sunil.
- Finally, if you like us noticed the absence of Andrew Weber in last night’s Amazing Race, you can see what he was up to in the jungles of South America in extra footage on the CBS website.
For those of us who don’t live in the United Kingdom, here’s Anton Hysén’s segment in the BBC3 documentary “Britain’s Gay Footballers.”
defender, Portland Timbers
Why is he Chris’s Soccer Valentine? There are a lot of things that are sexy about Mike Chabala, but nothing is a bigger attraction to me than a guy who stands up for my rights. I’ve been a fan of Mike ever since he became the first player to do a NOH8 Campaign photo shoot, and have always been impressed by the charm, humor, and kindness he displays to all of his fans, doing charitable work whenever he can. And I’m not going to deny that Mike is an incredibly handsome man.
What would their Soccer Valentine date be? Our date would be at my perfect date location in Austin, Texas, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. And I think Mike would be game for one of their special “Action Pack” events, like a music video singalong or movie quotealong. We’d get there early for the preshow along with our first round of drinks and some conversation. Then we’d sing along to our favorite 80’s hits or shout out our favorite Office Space quotes for 90 minutes, maybe sharing a gourmet milkshake while we do.
gay4soccer founder Chris’s personal Twitter is @CJBinATX
- Quincy Amarikwa, Teddy’s Valentine
- Bruce Arena, Tommy’s Valentine
- Carlos Bocanegra, Anton Hysén’s Valentine
- Danny Califf (and Jordan Harvey), Janine’s Valentines
- Landon Donovan, Jon’s Valentine
- Torsten Frings, John’s Valentine
- Jake Gleeson, Jorge’s Valentine
- Frankie Hejduk, The Free Beer Movement’s Valentine
- Zarek Valentin, Rachna’s Valentine
- Abby Wambach, Adam’s Valentine
- Bobby Warshaw, Justin’s Valentine
Plus one more coming shortly from yours truly…
head coach, LA Galaxy
Why is he Tommy’s Soccer Valentine? If the man can turn around the dysfunctional side that was the 2007/2008 LA Galaxy into arguably the best side ever in the league, imagine what he could do with a fixer-upper relationship!
What would their Soccer Valentine date be? “Your ideas are stupid,” Bruce would say to me in his trademark bluntness and Brooklyn accent upon the introduction of my proposed evening itinerary. “We will do what I want and you won’t know what I’m planning until we’ve already done it. And even then, you’ll only know if I decide to tell you.”
On the plus side, our evening will be quite pricey by American standards. Brucie – as he likes to be called, erm, by me – always seems to have ample cash on hand. “Allocation money,” he calls it. Whatever. You don’t have to tell me where you got it from or what you do on the side, Brucie. It’s not like I’m going to stop you from spending it on me.
Our LA Galaxy writer Tommy is on Twitter at @grnrngr80
defender, Montreal Impact
Why is he Rachna’s Soccer Valentine? He’s the perfect package! Funny, cute, great soccer player, style and swag. If you’ve seen his Generation Adidas video blogs or listened to his podcasts on U.S. Soccer, you’ll really see just how personable he is. How can you not want him as your VALENTIN?!
What would their Soccer Valentine date be? I’m not picky, but since Titanic is his favorite movie, maybe watching that whilst eating Oreos.
Our Chivas USA writer Rachna is on Twitter at @rachnakk
defender, FC Dallas
Why is he Justin’s Soccer Valentine? He is an up and coming defender for FCD, and every time he gets minutes on the field he goes out there and plays his heart out. I feel like he’s going to become one of our better players in the near future and I’m excited to see where he goes. In addition, he’s adorable as hell.
What would their Soccer Valentine date be? I’m a sucker for movie dates (mostly because I have no money) so we’d probably go see a fun movie together — nothing too serious — then we could drive around downtown Dallas and just hit the town, trying to get to know each other. Nothing too complex though as I would rather just get to know someone instead of having an intricate schedule of events planned out.
Our FC Dallas writer Justin is on Twitter at @m0gar
Today’s news was filled with homecomings in Major League Soccer:
The deal for Brian Ching to return to the Houston Dynamo from the Montreal Impact who picked him up in the Expansion Draft came to pass.
After a stint in Europe, former USMNT striker Eddie Johnson will be making a return to MLS. The league allocation process for Johnson will take place tomorrow.
Finally, it’s rumored that the Vancouver Whitecaps have an interest in bringing Soccer Ally and USMNT captain Carlos Bocanegra back to MLS. Bocanegra is one of several Americans playing for SPL’s financially struggling Rangers FC.